Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

August is National Peach Month


I don't know if there is anything better than a fragrant and ripe peach.  I have always loved peaches all my life and I will say that the past couple years I haven't had the best luck with peaches but this year my love of peaches was renewed when our produce manager got in Missouri peaches.  I know every state has peaches and I'm not trying to start a state peach war, but I'm going to throw it out there that Missouri peaches are the best peaches out there.  Oh man, this is what life is about. These peaches are AH-MAZING!  There I said it!  I mean I should know, I have had at least one a day for the past couple weeks.  I feel like my stomach is getting ready to hibernate and trying to stock up for when the weather gets colder and all I'm left with is apples and oranges as my go to fruit.



Lucky for you I have a delicious and quick and fun recipe to include peaches.  You can use frozen peaches in the recipe and enjoy this recipe all year long if you would like and it's just as delicious.

The recipe is a peach cobbler with a twist.  The twist being that one day when I was asking my boys what else I should add to this dessert to kick it up a notch, one said I should add blueberries, and the other said I should add pineapple.  Hence how the Wertzberger Fruit Cobbler was born and boy was it delicious! 


All you need is these few ingredients!




Let's start by first cutting the pineapple: Cut the top and bottom off the pineapple and throw away.

Next slide your knife down the pineapple discarding the hard out skin and the brown eyelets that are very woody. 


Next cut the pineapple in 1/4th to remove the center hard core.


Take the pineapple and cut into small dices.



Once the pineapple and peach are cut, put all the fruit, cornstarch, sugar, and cinnamon in the pan.

Pour over the unprepared box cake mix and top with a stick of butter.




Throw it in the oven for 40-55 minutes and Viola!!!



So delicious!!  Let it cool a little bit and serve up warm.  If you want true bliss add some vanilla bean ice cream!!



Wertzberger Fruit Cobbler


½ fresh pineapple, cored, and diced                                   
3 c. peaches, frozen or pitted and sliced
2 c. blueberries, fresh                                                                         
1 box yellow cake mix
¼ c. Sugar                                                       
2 tbsp. Cornstarch
1 tsp. Cinnamon, ground
1 c. water, apple or pineapple juice
1 stick butter, sliced thinly 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a sprayed 9x13 pan add the pineapple, peaches, blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon and stir until all incorporated.  Pour the water or juice over top the fruit and mix.  Sprinkle the cake mix on top of the fruit without stirring.  Lastly cut the butter into small pieces and lay over top the cake mix.  Place pan in the oven and cook for 40-55 minutes until cake browns and a knife comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before eating.

-Cool




No comments:

Post a Comment