Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

It's Birthday Week!

In my house we have what we call "birthday week."  We do this because all 3 of my children have their birthdays in a matter of 2 days.  My twin sons turned 6, August 14th, and then their younger sister turned 4 on August 15th.   

I always grew up knowing that my birthday was special and when I had kids I wanted to do the same thing for them.  I think I also wanted to make sure that they always felt extra special on their birthday because the boys would always have to share their birthday and then with their sister being born just the day after theirs, I knew I had to step up my game. 

This year was the first time that we did a combination of themes for the family birthday party. (For the past 4 years I have been able to get away with 1 theme). 

This year it was "Rainbows and Pokemon!"  When asking the boys about what we should do for their cake they said they wanted a "Pokemon ice cream cake with Blue Bunny Birthday Cake ice cream."  Well that was specific.  So then I ask Piper what she would like and she wanted "rainbow cupcakes."  Whew, okay I can do that.  Thanks for making that easy.  

This is what we came up with for Piper's rainbow cupcakes.  Cute, easy, and delicious.  We also had confetti cupcakes as well just didn't get a picture.  The rainbows are just little sour ribbon candy that I cut in 1/3.

After we figured out Piper's cupcakes I started figuring out how to do some amazing ice cream cake Pokemon ball.  I can do this right?!?!  I mean I couldn't just call Dairy Queen to have them make it since they wanted certain ice cream in it!?!?!  So I did some research and little to my surprise, found nothing helpful on the internet about how to make a round ice cream cake (because it was only ice cream no actually cake in it).  

With a lot of thinking and planning I came up with an idea and then made a plan, with 3 backup plans.

Plan A: make an ice cream cake Pokemon ball

Plan B: make an ice cream cake Pokemon semi ball

Plan C: just use a springform pan to layer ice cream and decorate it to look kind of like a Pokemon ball

Plan D: call Dairy Queen to do it!

Lucky for me I only had to go to plan b.  

This ice cream cake was going to be triple layer with the top layer being Blue Bunny Cherry Pickin' Chocolate, the middle layer being the birthday cake ice cream, and then the bottom layer being Kemp's vanilla bean frozen yogurt, with fudge and crumbled Oreos in the middle of each layer.  

I started with a Pyrex bowl and a springform pan.  

I spread about 3 cups on the bottom of the bowl and pan. 

Used some hot water to smooth out the layers.


And then covered the pans to freeze them for a couple hours so that I could put the fudge and Oreo layer.

In the meantime I recruited help to crush the Oreos from a couple of the going to be birthday kids.


I removed the ice cream from the freezer and added Oreos to the cherry layer first since it would be flipped upside down.
And then we added the Mrs. Richardsons hot fudge sauce, about 1/2 jar.

We then added the birthday cake ice cream, and let it all freeze again overnight!


The next morning as you can see I needed to put the semi ball together.  I ended up turning the Pyrex bowl over with my hand in the bottom and running it under water to get it out of the bowl.  



Finally it came out and here's my helper in the morning licking up all extras!

Here's the 3 layer cake put together, and then I covered it with plastic wrap and froze it overnight again.

I then called in a cake decorator friend to help me with the beautifying of the Pokemon ice cream cake and it turned out Amazing!


I will disclose that I decided to take the ice cream cake home on a 100 degree day and it melted a little.  It still looked very cool but I guess it then looked a little more "homemade" 😁. 

I showed Cyril and Paxton their cake and told them what had happened and they still were in awe of the Pokemon ice cream cake and they loved it.  They said "don't worry mommy it doesn't have to be perfect.  We still like it and want to eat it."  And right there I knew that sometimes I try to do everything perfect in life and even though I might have some #momfails, I am doing pretty good with making memories for my little ones.  

I will say that even though it might not of looked the best when we ate it, it was the best birthday ice cream cake and the Flavors of the ice cream with the thick layers of fudge and cookie crumbles were delicious.  I know I would do some things differently if I did one again but I think for the first time it turned out great.

Here's also some other fun things that we did for birthday week! 

Birthday mornings consist of sugar as well!  Confetti birthday pancakes with frosting, syrup and more sprinkles! 

Nighttime adventures in Omaha trying to find candy since our hotel didn't have any!

Omaha Zoo! 

We can't take a normal picture.

And I realized what my future with look like in 10-12 years when they can all drive!! 😁 Scary!!


What do you do for birthdays?  Do you make them super special or just another day?



No comments:

Post a Comment