Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Crazy's Coconut Birthday Celebration

Not only did Cool have a busy birthday month in August, so did I!  Which I love because then I get to eat delicious cake too!  I dusted off my oven and decided August warrants a little baking on my end for the beautiful woman I know as my mother.




I try not to repeat myself when it comes to desserts because my beautiful mother deserves something new and delicious for her birthday taste buds to experience. I did consult with Cool on ideas for something new and exciting. She shared with me this gem and it is delicious.




What I love about this recipe is that it is easy but tastes decadent. I start out with Duncan Hines White Cake Mix, 3 egg whites and 1/4 cup of canola oil. Blend on medium for about 2 minutes. While it is blending, I greased and lightly floured my 9x13 inch pan and pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees. Once it was blended and my oven was ready, I baked the cake for about 23 minutes (I have a dark cake pan, so make sure to prepare the cake as indicated from the directions listed on the box). 


While the cake is baking, I mix together 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and 1 can of coconut milk. You will use half of the mixture (which is awesome because then you have it ready for another delicious cake in the future. Just freeze the other half for a later baking extravaganza!).




The timer should be going off!  Check the doneness of your cake by inserting a toothpick into multiple parts of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake has finished baking. While the cake is still warm, poke holes with the end of a round cooking utensil.








Check out these stellar hole poking skills.




Again, while the cake is still warm, pour half of the condensed milk and coconut mixture onto the cake. As the cake sits and cools, it will absorb the milk mixture.



While the cake is cooling, take a large container of Cool Whip out of your freezer and bring to room temperature. Now I am a huge fan of coconut, so I mixed a 1 teaspoon of coconut extract into my cool whip. While those flavors meshed, I heated a medium size sauce pan to medium heat and toasted 1 package of coconut flakes. Make sure to continue stirring the flakes so they do not burn and take off the heat once the flakes start to turn a light brown. Those delicate flakes will continue to cook a little bit off of the burner.




When the cake is cooled completely, time to spread on the love. Generously spread the Cool Whip on top of the cake. I love Cool Whip. And no I did not get the light or fat-free kind either.




Because I wanted to do this.




Sprinkle on the toasted coconut. You can also opt to do fresh coconut if you like the flavor better. Whatever you like!  That is the beauty of this recipe. You could make cupcakes or 2-8 inch cakes as well.  For the next cake I bake, I will also top with mini-chocolate chips.




My mother was surprised an excited to blow out the candles on her yummy and decadent white coconut cake, made by yours truly. 


Happiest of Birthdays to You Mom!  I hope all your wishes come true!

Crazy's Coconut Cake

1 - 18.25 ounce package white cake mix
1 - 14 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
1 - 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 - 16 ounce package thawed frozen whipped topping
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 - 7 ounce package toasted flaked coconut

1.  Prepare and bake white cake mix according to packaged directions.
2.  Remove cake from oven.
3. While still hot, using a utility utensil, poke holes all over the top of the cake.
4. Let cake cool completely.
5. While the cake is cooling, mix coconut milk and sweetened condensed milk together. Use one half of the mixture for the cake. Freeze the other half for future use.
6. Toast coconut by heating a medium size sauce pan to medium heat, constantly stirring until coconut is light brown, about 5 minutes.
7. When cake is cool, generously frost with the whipped topping and coconut.
8. Keep cake refrigerated.

~Crazy




No comments:

Post a Comment