Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Friday, July 29, 2016

Comfort Food with a Turkey Twist


Hey everyone!! This is Sonja and I’m guest blogging for Crazy and Cool this week! J I am currently a dietetic intern with Iowa State University (Go Cyclones!!) and am working with and learning from Crazy! I know what you’re thinking, “Wow! You are so lucky!” and to you sir/ma’am I say, “yes, yes I am a lucky lady.” What a Crazy fun experience! J

For my guest blog I decided to make Jalapeño Turkey Meatloaf, a recipe from Jennie-O! It turned out amazing if I may say so myself. To be honest, the meatloaf was my recipe of choice because my boyfriend made traditional beef meatloaf last week and I felt that it was necessary to turn it into a competition. Like most things, much more fun as a competition! Especially when you are the winner and of course I was! My Jennie-O turkey meatloaf had with less sugar, calories and fat than his traditional recipe and was still packed with all the delicious flavor of meatloaf there was no competition!

Step 1- First I preheated my oven to 350 degrees!! – Step 1, easy peasy, Winning!

Step 2- I measured all of the ingredients! The hardest part about this step was cutting the peppers and onion!! 





Step 3- I removed ½ cup of tomato sauce from the 15oz can of tomato sauce. This part of the recipe isn’t written very clearly. Luckily I am a Cyclone and I was able to use my educated brain to figure it out! This half cup was set aside to be mixed with the Jennie-O ground turkey and the rest of the sauce I mixed with the brown sugar and mustard. I prefer Dijon mustard so that is what I used. I am sure whatever mustard you typically use would work out just great!!

Step 4- The MOST FUN PART OF ALL, well after eating it of course, I mixed the meat, peppers, onions bread crumbs, eggs, and ½ cup tomato sauce together! It was an ooey gooey mess and I loved every second of it!





Step 5- I put the meat mixture in a pan, shaped it like a loaf of bread, topped it with the tomato sauce mix and baked it! It calls for a loaf pan but who has that?? Not this girl! Turned out just fine without! It took my loaf approximately 1 hour and 25 minutes to reach 165 degrees.










I served the turkey with asparagus, our favorite vegetable, and rice!



We’ve eaten a lot of meat loaf this week, especially since the boyfriend made a 3lb meatloaf, but it was still the bomb dot com!

INGREDIENTS

1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 and 1/2 pounds JENNIE-O® Lean Ground Turkey
1 tablesppon diced jalapeno peppers
1/2 cup diced  onion
1/4 cup diced red bell peppers
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup egg susbstitue or 2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup tomato sauce, divided

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. In a small bowl, stir together tomato sauce, mustard and brown sugar. Set aside.
3. In large bowl, mix ground turkey, jalepeno peppers, onions, red bell pepper, breadcrumbs, eggs, pepper and 1/2 cup tomato sauce. Blend well.
4. Form mixture into a rounded rectangular loaf and place in 2-inch deep pan. Spread sauce mixture evenly over meatloaf.
5. Bake 1 hour or until the internal temperature of meatloaf is well-done, 165 degrees Fahrenheit as measured by a meat thermometer. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Slice loaf into 10 portions.

RECIPE NUTRITION INFORMATION

Calories: 150
Protein: 15g
Fat: 5 g
Carbohydrates: 8g

For full nutrition information visit the recipe from Jennie-O at the link below.

https://www.jennieo.com/recipes/989-jalape%25C3%25B1o-turkey-meatloaf

No comments:

Post a Comment