Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Cooking with Color

The one question I get asked over and over again is, "Do you cook at home?"  Then after I respond "Yes, I cook at home because I have a family that is hungry ALL THE TIME."  People usually ask "well what do you cook?"  At which my response is "color!"  It might be because I'm a sarcastic person and love to see people's faces dumb founded by what I've just said but it's the best answer I have came up with besides, "food, duh!"  My mom taught me very early in life that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.  Since I was never really good at keeping my mouth shut I guess being sarcastic was what I turned to.

So when I cook at home I actually plan my meals around how it's going to look on the plate?  Think about it, remember I'm not the crazy one. Color to me not only means a pretty and appetizing plate, but it usually means there's more vegetables and healthier as well. I also try to make sure there is at least 3 different food groups on the plate as well to round out the meal and give options.  If my kids don't like 1 thing on the plate then they at least have 2 other options to fill up on. 

So if I was planning on chicken with some quinoa which is pretty boring whitish/brown plate, I will make sure there is some green or red vegetables on the plate so that plate is more appealing to the eye.  See vegetables are not only good for you but they are pretty as well.  When your plate is full of color, it not only looks good but it tastes so much better.  You don't eat with just your mouth, but with your eyes as well. 

I decided to document most of the meals that we have had in the past week and I think the pictures speak for themselves, well maybe except for the Casey's pizza, but since it was taco I'm going to justify it!
 

My husband made breakfast this day.  I think my love of colorful food has rubbed off on him, what do you think? 

Last Tuesday: I had some pizza crust in the fridge so we had a pizza with fig jam, Parmesan cheese, blue cheese, bacon bits and arugula.

Wednesday night is the night that Carl works and so I usually ask the kids what they want for dinner. This night they wanted Mac N Cheese, so I added some ham and sautéed kale to it and I will tell you it was delish.  This was so good that I am still craving some of that boxed mac n cheese with kale!

Thursday night I wanted steaks.  I had been baking sweet stuff all day and was in a sugar coma.  I needed savory food STAT!  I got home and by the time I had unpacked my stuff and caught up with the kids, Carl was almost done cooking dinner.  I added in some ramen at the last minute since it takes 3 minutes to cook,  made a couple Moscow Mules and dinner was complete.

Friday night was pizza night.  CASEY'S TACO PIZZA with Canadian bacon for the kiddos.  We dug in so quick I forgot to take a picture until we went back for more.  So good!

Saturday night was a throw together meal.  I realized I was only taking pictures of my plates so I decided to start taking pictures of the kids' plates as well to show you they eat the same thing as us. I only cook one meal and if they don't like it, well there's always the next meal.  
This is a teriyaki marinated chicken breast with farro and sautéed veggies.  The kids asked for seconds of everything, they loved it.

The kids didn't get the Moscow mule! 

Sunday night is usually our night for pizza but since we had it on Friday I made some "Sammy's."  A hoagie layered with lunchmeat of choice and pepperoni and mozzerella cheese and baked until cheese is melted and piled with lettuce, pepper rings, tomatoes and drizzled with Italian dressing.

Monday night was tuna casserole and grapes.  Pretty basic but yes I do make casseroles, and yes I love the peas in there.

Tuesday was St. Paddy's Day so nothing says Irish like taco salads!  Okay maybe not but they sounded good and I had cooked ground beef in the fridge.

 
The next time you plan your meal challenge yourself to filling your plate up with color.  I bet it not only tastes better, but I think you will feel better as well.
 
Have a wonderful week!
 
-Cool
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment