Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Monday, March 9, 2015

Healthy Eating is Easy With a Little Plan

Who knew that a breakfast like this could come together in less than 10 minutes?  Just a little planning and you could have a colorful nutritious breakfast even during the week!
 
 
Saturday morning the kiddos woke up and we started the day out like most other saturday mornings.  The kids went to the kitchen to their shelf and picked out their "snacks," which usually consist of anything from cereal, granola bars, raisens, fresh fruit, triscuits, or sometimes they get in the fridge to get yogurt or cheese sticks.  They are always so hungry in the morning that they can't even wait to let me make breakfast even though it might only take 5 minutes.  In parenting we choose our battles and as long as I provide them with good food options that they can be self sufficiant how can I get mad at that?  The kids then take their snacks out to the living room and watch some cartoons while I make "real" breakfast. 
 
Paxton's favorite spot while watching cartoons.

I knew that the temperature was going to be nice out and that we would want to take full advantage of it as much as we could so I needed to make sure we had a filling breakfast.  I go to the fridge and realize that I still had some of my breakfast sausage and millet mixture left. 
 
**HEALTHY COOKING TIP: I get questions all the time about what how to cook healthy and my answer is always "planning."  Without a plan, you will always do what you have always done.  In my fridge at any given day I will usually have a bowl of cooked ancient grains, and cooked protein option.  Sometimes I mix them together, sometimes they are seperate.  I do this because even though the grains only take 20- 35 minutes to cook, who has that kind of time each day?  If you have some already cooked in the fridge and all you have to do is warm it up in the microwave than you are more likely to use it.  And you just made convenient food healthy!!  I know, MIND BLOWN, right?  Just like the grains, if you have cooked ground beef in the fridge that is just seasoned with salt and pepper, or some cooked chicken breasts than the options are endless on what you can do with it.  This way when you are thinking at 4:00p what you are going to have for dinner and dinner has to be fast than you can throw the two together, add some vegetables, maybe some cheese and you have a fast easy healthy dinner.**
  
Okay so back to my breakfast plan, and how I always have precooked proteins and grains in my fridge, I grab the breakfast sausage and millet mixture and heat it up in the microwave for about 90 seconds to build my filing breakfast.    
 

 
I then see I have lots of vegetables so I add a little olive oil, green peppers and cut kale and cook up to add to the sausage and millet mixture.  



I am a big fan of over easy eggs and the running yolk creating a natural sauce for the breakfast, but make whatever type of eggs that you like, or don't use eggs if you don't like them.  It's your breakfast!

And look, you've got breakfast in 10 minutes.


Now I don't really have a recipe for this one just because it's more of what you like and it's more of an idea of what breakfast could be.  I know I did this on Saturday but it doesn't take longer than 10 minutes to make so it could make its way into the weekday breakfast.

My little breakfast helper, that didn't want her own, but knowing full well she would just eat off mom's plate.  I don't put salsa in her side because"I no like picey food."


Here's the other guy that "wasn't hungry" but just wanted to try half of my breafast. Good thing I know that know full well that my kids will eat anything off my plate so I just load up and plan on eating about 1/3 of it.


Now it's your turn, try making a plan this week to help you eat healthier.  What tips do you have for others to eat healthy?  What works for your family or what questions do you have that we can help you out on your healthy eating journey?

Let us know.

-Cool


No comments:

Post a Comment