Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

What the What Wednesday: 3 am Oatmeal Cookies


Welcome to another episode of "What the What" Wednesday!  So let me just dive in. This past Sunday, I awoke at 3 am in the morning and just knew I was not going to get back to sleep. So I went for an invigorating run and by 4:30 am I was at the grocery store getting ingredients for my recipe this week. Hence the name 3 am Oatmeal Cookies. Now I don't make these often or for just anyone, but they are my favorite cookies of all time and I like to share them with special people (and that includes you!). I also wanted to share this with you because I know I am a dietitian, but I don't use "healthier" ingredients because I like the real deal. Like real butter...


White and brown sugar with whole eggs and pure vanilla extract combined with the insides of 1 vanilla bean (no imitation for this girl). 


I do use whole wheat flour and lots of cinnamon with a touch of nutmeg. Baking powder is key to keeping them from turning into hockey pucks and also whisking the dry ingredients together well to add air and encourage a lighter cookie. 


Here is my "must do" for the best oatmeal cookies:  Pump, pump, pump it up! Add warm water (not boiling) to your raisins (and I'm talking lots of raisins) to get them even tastier and juicier. Let them sit for about 5 minutes before adding to your batter. 


Use old fashioned oats, not 1 minute oats they will perish in the cookie. 


I like my cookies a little crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Parchment paper really helps you achieve this. It also just lets the cookie slide right off the pan. 


Be ready for a lot of cookies! If you want to change it up and do your own thang, skip the raisins and go for dark chocolate chips, dried cranberries or even dried blueberries (pump those up too!) I hope you enjoy this recipe and when you make them, I hope that it's not because you're awake at 3 am. 

-Crazy (yep, I run and bake at 3 am, see how I got my title?)

3 am Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Makes 3 dozen cookies
  • 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened but still firm
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 vanilla bean, inside removed
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg 
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 2 cups raisins, soaked and pumped up! 

1. Adjust oven racks to low and middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees. 
2. With an electric mixer, cream butter until smooth. Add sugars and vanillas; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. 
3. Beat in eggs one at a time, until completely blended. 
4. Whisk flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg and cinnamon together, then stir  by hand into butter mixture with wooden spoon or spatula. 
5. Stir in oats one cup at a time and gently fold in raisins. 
6. Form dough into 2-inch balls, placing  parchment paper–covered cookie sheets. 7. Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown (but not the tops) 18-20 minutes Let cool on cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes before cooling on rack. 












No comments:

Post a Comment