Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Friday, July 4, 2014

Healthier Snack Ideas for Kids (or anyone on the go)

So for our "From the Kitchen Friday," this week we are talking about snacking the right way.  This topic came up in conversation this week all because i was watching a movie you guys might not of heard of yet, "Frozen" with my children.  I had just cleaned up dishes from dinner and sat on the couch next to my son, Cyril, when he asked me for a snack to go with the movie.  When normally my instinct is to say "No we just got done with dinner," I decided to ask questions. See I'm trying to limit my saying of the word "no" since it's my daughter's, Piper, favorite word is no!

Cool mom voice: "What would you like for a snack?" (Knowing full well that he is going to say popcorn, candy, or grandma's cookies!) 
Cyril: "mommy, hmmm how about carrot sticks? Maybe some apple slices too?"
Cool mom voice in my head: "WHAT?  Did he just say that? Did I just temporary fall asleep?"
Cool mom voice: "Oh man that's a great idea for a snack!"
Paxton: "mommy I love carrots and apples can I have some too?"  
(Okay I know what you think, she is making this stuff up, but I cannot make this stuff up.  My made up story would have Doritos and a 5lb chocolate bar in it, and then cool mom coming out and teaching a life lesson to my children!)  I felt like I had the biggest grin and the biggest wave of energy to get off that couch and run out to the kitchen to cut up fruit and vegetables for the kids for movie snack! 

Crazy and I have so many people ask us about what are some good go to snacks? Things that are healthier options for not only kids but adults as well.  I have compiled a list of some of my own staples that I have in my kitchen so that myself and family have available when you just need something to eat.  Because remember you can't start snacking healthy if you aren't buying healthy!

Cupboards


Raisins (or if you have a raisin phobia try dried apricots or dried apples): this is the "original" fruit snack, no sugar added.
Nuts or seeds: to make your snack complete try adding protein.  If you have a nut allergy try pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
Peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread: not only are they delicious but who doesn't love peanut butter? Again if there are allergies there are great alternatives for gluten free bread and even sunflower butter.
Meat sticks:  I'm not saying Slim Jim's, but less than 5g of fat, 6-8g of protein, less than 400 milligrams of sodium.  These are great snacks on the go.
Pretzels/ Graham Crackers/ Mini Triscuits: perfect for a carbohydrate option and even better when paired with meat sticks, cheese sticks or even cottage cheese.
Apple Sauce Pouches:  Great for on the go, and easy no clean up needed.
Ghiradelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips: we all need chocolate in our life and this is not only a healthier option but you will find that it has a rich chocolate flavor .  If you have a stigma about dark chocolate, try these out, you will not regret it.

Fridge:

Greek yogurt: perfect just out of the fridge or they are really good Popsicles when put in a Popsicle mold and froze for at least 4 hours.
Cheese sticks: fast, easy, convenient, and ready anytime you want it.
Fresh Veggies: (examples: pea pods, celery, red pepper strips, cut carrots, broccoli, cauliflower) alright I know what your going to say, it's too much work!  Yes, it does take time to wash and cut your veggies but trust me the time is worth it.  Take time each week, maybe even plan an hour after your grocery shopping trip and plan to prep cutting veggies for the week.  It will save you time and then you will always have them available when you want a snack.
Hummus: add with your veggies and you have a complete snack.
Cottage cheese: fast, filling, and great paired with fruit.
Deli meat: quick easy protein, a couple pieces is all you need and you don't even have to dirty a dish.

We are a snacking population, that loves food and is always on the go.  Having healthier alternatives for snacking in your house will help you start eating healthier.  In order to make lifestyle changes you have to start small and rather than "cutting out" certain foods completely you need to start ADDING the right foods in your diet until you don't have room and don't crave the less healthy foods.

Get your whole family involved in picking out your snacks.  If they pick out a new healthy snack they are more likely to try it.  I am not guaranteeing that they will love it, but sometimes you have to try a food more than once before you like it.  Try having a game at the store where you pick out at least one fruit or vegetable or healthier product each month and give it a try.  Keep trying it throughout the month and maybe try using it differently or cooking it differently, you will find that you may not love kale, for example, raw but love it cooked.

I hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July weekend and happy snacking!

-Cool

No comments:

Post a Comment