Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Monday, November 10, 2014

Making It Monday: Snazzy Appetizer for Thanksgiving


Every year, I am in charge of bringing an appetizer to Thanksgiving (probably because my family is too frightened by anything else that may come out of my kitchen).  Since I am being more adventurous with my cooking abilities (thanks to Cool and her constant inspiration), I decided to branch out and try something a little more creative than my usual Greek yogurt dip with vegetables. 

I am not going to take full credit for this Squash and Cranberry Crostini recipe, it is inspired by something I saw on Pinterest and I just tweaked it a bit to my liking. And we start with real bacon (Nope it's not turkey!)


But, I recommend using center cut bacon. Center cut bacon has more protein than other bacon and is leaner. I tripled this recipe, so I crisped up 6 slices. This took about 15 minutes on medium high heat. You are going to crumble this into the squash mixture so make sure it is crispy. Place on a paper towel and let cool to crumble. Reduce the heat of your pan to medium and keep the bacon fat in the pan. 


Finely dice 2 shallots and place into the pan with the bacon fat. Sauté for about 5 minutes.


Now that you are getting delicious smells of bacon and shallots, you are going to add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of dried cranberries. Let simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes. 


While that is simmering, prepare your spread and bread for the crostini. Mix 1 package of 1/3 fat cream cheese with a 4 ounce container of crumbled goat cheese. Mix until blended. For the bread, set oven to low broil. Slice 2-12 ounce french baguettes, place on a cookie sheet and low broil for about 3 minutes on each side.  Now back to the good stuff...


I love butternut squash but man is it a pain to cut, so I use this handy pre-cut frozen product. You add the whole bag to the simmering pan.


Season with salt, pepper and 2 teaspoons of dried thyme. Simmer for another 5 minutes until the squash is warm.


I recommend keeping the mixture warm. Top the toasted bread with the goat cheese spread and place the warm squash mixture on top. Place a fresh sage leaf on top and serve. Sooo yummy!  



I am planning on "wowing" my family!  Well I guess if nothing else, I hope they at least eat it. If not, I will. Who needs turkey anyway?
 
~Crazy

Squash and Dried Cranberry Bruschetta Serves 8 to 10  (I tripled it in this blog, so if you are serving a bigger crowd, I suggest it).

All You Need: 
1 (12”) French baguette, thinly sliced (1/4” pieces)
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
3 to 4 ounces goat cheese, softened
4 ounces of 1/3 less fat cream cheese
3 slices of center cut bacon
1 shallot, minced
1 10 ounce package of frozen and cubed butternut squash
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dried thyme
12-14 pieces of fresh sage leaves
salt and pepper to taste

All You Do: 
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Brush each side of sliced baguette pieces with oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.
3. Bake for 5 minutes, flip each slice, and continue to bake for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. For topping: Cook slices of bacon in a heavy bottom skillet and place over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove bacon to cool and shallots.  Sauté for 2 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to medium, add apple cider vinegar, cranberries, and thyme, stirring together. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Cook mixture for 5 minutes, add squash and continue to sauté for 4 minutes.
7. Continue to cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
8. To assemble: Spread a small amount of goat cheese/cream cheese mixture onto each slice of bread and top with a spoonful or two of the squash mixture. Serve warm.

Adapted from:  Spoon, Fork, Bacon


No comments:

Post a Comment