Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

"It tastes so good when it hits your lips!" Grilled Cheese or Caprese Salad ish Grilled Cheese

I know what you think of when you see the title, Old School, huh?  Did you know "Old School," came out 11 years ago?  Man, I remember watching that in college and laughing so hard.  I thought it was the funniest thing, and remember quoting so many one liners from the movie.  So even though I haven't seen it in a couple years doesn't mean I don't constantly have Will Ferrell quotes going through my head. 
 
Once I ate this grilled cheese, I instanly thought of Will Ferrell's saying "It's so good when it hits your lips!" and so how this sandwich got it's name.  This recipe came to me like most of my favorite recipes do, they come me me as an idea in my head (usually sparked from someone), get thrown around my head for a couple days and thinking about ways to pull it off and make it spectacular, and then get finalized once I look into my fridge to see what I have already in there (because I'm cheap).    We were having an event for our employees and I was told to do a "gourmet grilled cheese."  I originally was wanting to make a caprese salad grilled cheese sandwich (since the "original" name is a little long, that's how the other name came to be), but once I looked around the store and what I had on hand it developed into something more.  So it has the idea of a caprese salad in it, but it turned out way better than I had imagined.
 
This sandwich is the perfect recipe for this time of year.  It's getting colder, and we all want comfort food.  I know I still want fresh and "lighter" ingredients in the fall and winter time so that I don't completely fall off the health wagon and fill out my sweater figure!  You can still find some pretty delicious tomatoes right now since there are so many great greenhouses, but since this is one recipe that I know you will love and want to eat all winter long I have made it fool proof to help out the integrity of the tomatoes when they aren't so much in season.
 
So let's start with the delicious ingredients that all go into this grilled cheese.  Simple quality ingredients that have great flavor alone, but mixed together they turn into a little sandwich of heaven. 
 
 
At the store we have a new bread that is our Italian bread with Italian seasoning on it.  It's baked fresh daily, so I just picked up a loaf and had them slice it up for me.  I mean they have a wonderful machine that takes 10 seconds to slice it, and it all ends up perfectly, without smashing the loaf!  Why would you ever do it yourself again?  Next I had some newer products that I had been meaning to try out and it was the "Tadizione Italiana Cucina and Amore" brand of balsamic vinegar and sun dried tomato pesto.  I know I said I'm cheap but these two items are worth the money, and you can tell the difference.  I knew that the sun dried tomato pesto was going to be the secret ingredient because it would add flavor and depth to the sandwich but if I used the traditional mozzarella cheese it would overpower the mild cheese.  So that's when I perused over to the cheese aisle and found one of my new favorite cheese, the Vivaldi Fontal (fontina) cheese.  This cheese is a little pundent to the nose, but it has a strong flavor that melts ohh so good.  Lastly I knew I needed to add the basil, and some tomatoes.  I ended up using some roma tomatoes because they were on sale, you can use what tickles your fancy.  After all it's your sandwich!
 
 
 
Cut up the tomatoes nice and as thin as you can get them, pour over the balsamic vinegar and add in the basil.  It's best to marinade the tomatoes for at least an hour to soak in all the flavors.  Shred the cheese, and get ready for assembly! 
 
 
These little tomaters have been marinading overnight!
 
 
This is a picture of the grilled cheese making madness, but at least we are still having fun!  It works to have a pan and make them all up together.
 

For assembly we do butter on the outsides of the bread, sun dried tomato pesto on one slice of bread, shredded cheese, 2-3 tomato slices, more shredded cheese (I mean it's still called a grilled cheese so load in full of cheese), and then top bread slice with butter out! 
 
All ready for the grill!
 

In a large skillet or for a large group use a griddle and crank that sucker on high because you want your bread nice and golden brown. 
 

Here is the final product of 40 "It tastes so good when it hits your lips!" grilled cheeses!  I wish I had a better shot of the insides but you must trust me that it's pretty and you want to make it, like NOW!


Pair it with some tomato soup or chili and your fall and winter days just got a little warmer!


Caprese Grilled Cheese- makes 4 sandwiches
 
2 roma tomatoes, sliced
1/4 c. Balsamic vinegar
6 leaves, basil, chiffonade
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
1/8 tsp. Black pepper
Butter
8 pcs. Thinly sliced Italian Bread
2 tbsp. Sun dried tomato pesto
1/4- 1/2lb. Fontina cheese, shredded ( I used
 
In a small bowl place the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, basil, salt and pepper and let sit for at least 1 hour to marinade.  When you are ready for the sandwich assembly take 4 pieces of bread and butter the outside of each bread slice.  Putting the buttered side down, divide the tomato pesto spread on the pieces of bread.  Next add some shredded cheese over the pesto, two to three marinated tomatoes on each sandwich, top with more cheese, and put on the last pieces of bread with buttered bread facing out.  In a large skillet over medium to high heat add the the sandwiches and cook for 2-4 minutes until nice and golden brown.  Flip over and cook for anouther 3 minutes, until cheese is melted. 
 
-Cool
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment