Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Monday, August 4, 2014

Making It Monday: National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day

Hold up!  When I found out today was National Chocolate Chip Cookie day, I knew this post was perfect for me! I love to make cookies.


 Cookies are my favorite dessert (besides Key Lime Pie). I know we all have our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, so I am just going to offer some of my tips for a great cookie.

(I had some help in the kitchen today!) 

So let's get started. First and foremost, the most important ingredient in baking is love. I am serious!  Don't laugh!  I remember baking because I had to versus because I wanted to. The cookies turned out so much better when I wanted to, because I put a lot of love in the cookies I make. I do not bake for just anyone and never bake cookies because I have to. Just a little baking wisdom for ya.  

Now, start up your oven to 350 degrees.   Next you need to start with quality ingredients:


I am a dietitian, but I do not skimp on great ingredients. How do you make a cookie healthier? You make a quality cookie and eat less of them. Done and done! 


I start by creaming real butter and sugar. One of my tricks is to cut back on the sugar by 1/4 for both brown and white. I also recommend setting out your butter for about 30 minutes to an hour before making your cookies. Do not let your butter get too soft though, it may result in very flat cookies. Use unsalted butter so then you know the amount of sodium you put into your cookies. If you use salted butter, you will be unsure of the sodium content.


Add your pure vanilla extra, please please do not use imitation. And I like to use extra of it to add extra sweetness instead of the sugar, about 2 1/2 teaspoons. 


Add each egg seperately and wait until it is mixed thoroughly into the creamed mixture. 


This is how your batter should look so far.   Up next are the dry ingredients...

 
I am a firm believer in measuring out ingredients exactly. Use a knife to get your flour measurements and baking powder measurements exact. I use baking powder because I like a softer cookie. I think baking soda makes a cookie more on the crunchy/crumbly side, so if you're into that..go for it! 


Whisk your dry ingredients together or sift them together. This adds a little air and will also create a lighter cookie. If you like a more dense cookie, skip this step.


Now add the dry ingredients in 4 different steps so it blends well (and so flour does not fly all over the place, yep learned this the hard way).


Now for the chocolate chips. Again, here is where quality counts. Chose a high quality chocolate that has at least 60% cacao. This gives it a richer chocolate flavor and the chips melt in your mouth. Oh and put the whole package in, no need to measure! 


I love parchment paper lined cookie sheets because of 2 reasons: the cookies never stick and I have to use minimal work cleaning up my pans. I do drop cookies because I love the imperfection of a dropped, homemade cookie. When I go to eat a cookie, if it's imperfect, I know it is homemade and most likely made with love. I am very skeptical and don't trust the perfect cookie, it kind of reminds me of the perfect person. They just don't exist! 


After baking the cookies for about 10-12 minutes, slide them off the cookie sheet and let cool on a cooling rack or countertop.


And the best part is breaking them in half and watching the gooey chocolate love in the middle. 


I hope your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe makes you and the special people you make them for, smile. Little pieces of imperfect heaven....and lots of love.

-Crazy

Chocolate Chip Cookies

All You Need:

10 ounces 60% Cacao Chocolate Chips 
2 sticks of unsalted butter, slightly softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups unsifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

All You Do:


1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. 
2. Sift flour with baking powder and salt; set aside. 
3. In mixer, cream butter with sugars at medium speed for 2 minutes
4. Add eggs and vanilla, one at a time. Mix on low speed until incorporated. 
5. In 4 steps, graduate blend dry mixture into creamed mixture. 
6. Remove bowl from mixer and manually stir in chocolate chips.
7. Drop by tablespoon onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment