Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Solving the world's problems while fitting in our pants

Monday, June 15, 2015

The carrot dilemma and when is enough enough?

I like carrots a lot.  Actually I will even go out on a limb and say I LOVE CARROTS!  (Yea, it's that serious that I have to yell it)!  I don't cares who know it.


I mean who wouldn't love the carrots attributes?  They are super sweet and crunchy but they also have a mysterious side to them.  Have you ever bitten into a carrot to not have it be the sweet and succulent tasting carrot that you were expecting?  It's like it almost taste dull and full of dirt. This is what I classify as a "bad carrot."  

The thing is that with most fruits and vegetables give you a little warning (appearance, smell or touch) on whether they have passed their prime ripeness.  With carrots it could look like all the other carrots and all of a sudden, "Yuck, gross!  That carrot didn't taste delicious!" This is where the carrot dilemma starts.   

Can you tell which one is the bad carrot?

 
When I was in high school whenever I would go over to my friend Sarah's house, we would go into her fridge and always pick out the nicely cut carrots that her mom had just cut.  I mean these were the REAL carrots that you had to peel and cut, not those convenient baby carrots.  We would eat the whole entire Tupperware container of carrots every single time, and it's not like it was a small container.  There must have been 2lbs of carrots that fit in there.  I not only would feel bad for her mom for taking so much time to cut the carrots, but I felt horrible and full from all the carrots I had just eaten.  Of course it didn't stop us doing the same thing every single time, because it was carrots they were good for us!  This is actually where the talk of the carrot dilemma started.  We would eat a carrot and it would be sweet and crunchy so we would want to eat more.  We then would go for just one more, and then out of nowhere you would bite into a bad carrot.  We knew you couldn't end eating with a bad taste in your mouth, so we had to keep eating till we found a good carrot.  Then again the carrot was so sweet an delicious that we would keep eating.  As you can see this is a never ending cycle because carrots don't give any indication that they are a bad carrot!  

Now you understand the carrot dilemma? No, still lost?  Stay with me till the end.



Just this past weekend my husband and I were watching some Netflix when we had a late night craving. We went out to the kitchen and I decided to grab a handful of baby carrots that were in the fridge.  Remembering the carrot dilemma, when I got down to the last three carrots in my hand I had a small bite of each of them.  It was true all the carrots tasted different.  Since you CAN'T end on a bad carrot, I took a bite of each one and ranked them from best to worst.  My husband then came out of the kitchen and sat on the couch and I stopped him to tell him about my carrot dilemma.  (We have only been married 7 years so I have to bring out my crazy ideas out slowly so I don't scare him!)  I had him try both the carrots.  He tried the first one and asked him to classify it as a bad carrot or good carrot.  Of course he thinks I'm crazy and eats the whole carrot saying he would classify it as a bad carrot.  I then gave him the last carrot, as I eat the pretty good carrot in the middle, and he said he would classify it as a good carrot.  I then told him that "I love you too much to end on a bad carrot! " 
 

And just like that the carrot dilemma was solved!  When do you stop eating?  When is enough enough?  Remember you can have too much of a good thing.  Luckily for you I think after almost 20 years of my carrot dilemma I have found a solution that might sound simple but not always easy.  Moderation is the answer to everything in life.  Love yourself and others to much not let them end on a bad carrot!  Life is short, enjoy the ride!

-Cool
 

No comments:

Post a Comment